Fall into Reading this October with Beanstack and Junior Library Guild!
For this challenge, you can read whatever you like, just be sure to log your minutes in Beanstack. For a little extra credit, check out JLG’s award-winning book selections and complete the “JLG Picks” activity in Beanstack.
Keep reading through this book list to see which books qualify for the “JLG Picks” activity. They are grouped by grade/age level, and include links to digital resources in case you can’t get your hand on a hard copy.
Jump to a section:
Books for Grades K-2
From inspiring young musicians to less-than-impressive pets, there’s something for everyone in the K-2 early reader category.
Check out these books from your library or listen to them read-aloud right here!
- Double Bass Blues
- The Bell Rang
- Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
- My Papi Has a Motorcycle
- Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
- Flubby Is Not a Good Pet
- ¡Vamos! Let’s Go to the Market
Books for Grades 3-5
Check out these diverse middle grade books for a spectrum of stories about love, strength, loss, and the fight for equality.
Here, you will find titles to check out from your library, virtual read-alouds, or other ways to access the stories online.
- The Undefeated
- Scary Stories for Young Foxes
- What Is Given from the Heart
- The Distance Between Me and the Cherry Tree
- Do Fish Sleep?
- Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
- Soldier for Equality: José de la Luz Sáenz and the Great War
- All in a Drop: How Antony van Leeuwenhoek Discovered an Invisible World
- The Book Rescuer: How a Mensch from Massachusetts Saved Yiddish Literature for Generations to Come
- We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
Books for Grades 6-8
Looking for someone you can relate to? JLG has selected an extensive list of inspiring authors and experiences for you to dive into. From new schools to difficult familial relationships to the history-makers you didn’t even know about, there’s sure to be someone here to connect with.
Preview them here, check them out from your library, or get them via services like Hoopla and Overdrive.
- New Kid
- Other Words for Home
- Genesis Begins Again
- Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky
- Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
- Infinite Hope: A Black Artist’s Journey from World War II to Peace
- Song for a Whale
- Sal and Gabi Break the Universe
- The Other Half of Happy
- This Promise of Change: One Girl’s Story in the Fight for School Equality
- The Best at It
- Free Lunch
- Torpedoed: The True Story of the World War II Sinking of “The Children’s Ship”
- I’m Ok
- White Bird: A Wonder Story
- Indian No More
Books for Grades 9-12
Check out this wide range of JLG-selected books to find authors making sense of their troubling pasts, the role of health in our lives, and the fantasy worlds we construct or believe to escape reality.
Preview them using JLG synopses, book trailers, and author talks here and check them out from your library or using services like Hoopla and Overdrive.
- The Stars and the Blackness Between Them
- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
- Ordinary Hazards: A Memoir
- Where the World Ends
- The Silence Between Us
- Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
- In Waves
- Hey, Kiddo
- The Candle and the Flame
- The Great Nijinsky: God of Dance
- A Light in the Darkness: Janusz Korczak, His Orphans, and the Holocaust
- Games of Deception: The True Story of the First U.S. Olympic Basketball Team at the 1936 Olympics in Hitler’s Germany
- Someday We Will Fly
- Sick Kids in Love
We can’t wait to hear what you’ve read!