The Big Picture
Do you enjoy applying your creative and technical skills to technology that impacts peoples’ lives for good? Do you thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative environment? As part of Zoobean’s product team, you will have the opportunity to help shape products that build lifelong reading habits for readers all around the world.
The Senior Ruby on Rails Developer is a motivated team player who will work with our product team to build products that inspire our clients and users. You will work closely with our web and mobile development teams as well as our product manager, designers, and QA engineer to build new features and maintain our production apps. Communication and collaboration will be key to success.
You will join a kind, generous, and entrepreneurial crew of thirty full-time teammates, including eight product team members. The best part is that you get a unique opportunity to use your strengths and skills to challenge others to read more. After all, reading is to the mind as exercise is to the body.
Zoobean’s flagship products help people achieve reading goals by tracking reading and participating in reading challenges. We serve more than 10,000 public library and school clients in the United States, Canada, and Australia. Over ten million readers currently use our platform, Beanstack, to track their reading, earn incentives, and stay motivated to read.
Our Shark Tank appearance brought us Mark Cuban as an investor. We have since picked up Kapor Capital, Militello Capital, AlphaLab Gear, RevUp Capital, and the AT&T Aspire Accelerator as believers and backers to our wonderful cause. Our customers range from big to small and include the Los Angeles Public Library, the Hawaii Department of Education, and the Department of Defense.
- Collaborate with other product team members to develop and maintain a growing set of applications and features
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient code that is well-tested and documented when necessary
- Provide support and guidance to team members through code reviews and occasional pair programming
- Utilize monitoring tools to ensure the application is healthy and any performance issues are addressed early
- Assist support specialists to diagnosing and resolving reported issues
- Attend daily product standups, periodic product planning sessions, and team meetings
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization best practices
- Analytical thinker with exceptional problem-solving skills
- Solid understanding of engineering best practices
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly, and concisely in written and verbal form
- A strong sense of customer empathy and desire to influence product direction
A Big Plus
- Experience working in a startup environment—able to juggle multiple projects and switch tasks throughout the day
- Full stack web development experience
- Working knowledge of React Native or AngularJs
- Familiar with collaboration and source code management tools such as Github, Asana, or equivalent
- Previous experience designing, building, and scaling an application
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with a remote team
Salary and Benefits
- Salary will range from $125,000 to $175,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K Plan with company match
- Participation in company’s stock incentive plan
- Participation in company's quarterly bonus plan for employees
- Work from home with the option to have the company lease co-working space on your behalf
- $500 home office setup stipend
- Optionally participate in our annual team “break” where we kick back together at a resort
- At least 15 vacation days annually + a one week winter break from Xmas Eve to New Year's Day
- Office closed for all federal holidays
- $1,200 annual professional development stipend
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe diversity breeds innovation. We're building a product that helps librarians, educators, and families everywhere, and to do that well, we need a workforce that’s representative of the population we serve. We are actively looking to add members to our team who will bring diverse backgrounds, new perspectives, and a willingness to challenge us to improve the work we do every day.
From the Heart
At Zoobean, we live out three core values that are represented in our logo:
- Love: We are passionate about the work we do and give everything we can to our customers, investors, and each other.
- Inclusion: Our company grew out of a calling to help children and families see themselves in the books they read. That same commitment to diversity runs through all we do and gives each of us an opportunity to express our full selves while feeling a sense of belonging to a larger community.
- Awesomeness: This one speaks for itself.
If this hits you in the heart and mind, then come work with us.